How To Drill Through Tile Without Cracking It In 60 Seconds
How To In 60 Seconds
In this DIY 60 second fix, Doug shows you how to drill into your tile without cracking it.
Imagine you had a finished bathroom and wanted to add a towel bar or other accessory that needed to be mounted to the tile.
1. Figure out where you want the accessory to be and put an “X.”
-Hint: Make sure you are exact in your measurements because unlike sheetrock, you cannot patch tile. (most accessories come with a template)
2. Use a pointed spade masonry bit to drill your hole.
-Hint: This point helps to keep the bit from traveling along the tile. (you can also take the bit and tap slightly with a hammer to make a nic in the tile to help keep it in place)
3. Locate the “X,” and start drilling slowly on where it crosses.
-Hint: You will hear grinding, that’s a good thing.
4. Once you see dust, you can speed up the drilling.
-Hint: Make sure to push it through at the end.
Now you have a completed hole that you can now use to mount your accessory.
Check back next week for a neat trick from Doug!
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks