How To In 60 Seconds
In this DIY 60 second fix, Doug Cornwell shows us how to tighten a door hinge which will stop a door from opening on its own.
What you’ll need:
– Zip tie or twist tie
1. Close the door.
2. Take out one of the pins in the hinge. Use a nail under the pin and hit it with a hammer.
– Hint: It doesn’t matter which one you take out and when it gets towards the top, you will be able to pull it out.
3. Put a zip tie or twist tie into the hinge and make sure it goes all the way to the bottom.
– Hint: Bend the top a little bit so it doesn’t fall all the way through.
4. Replace the pin. Use a hammer to tap the pin back into place.
– Hint: You may need to hold the zip tie to make sure it doesn’t move too much.
5. Adjust the hinge if it’s not on straight by opening and then closing the door.
– Hint: This should put some resistance on the pin.
6. Test the door to make sure it stays open.
– Hint: Once tested and it works, cut off the edges of the tie so you don’t see it.
Now your door stays open like it should 🙂
Have a fix that you would like to see covered in the next round of videos? Please leave a comment and let us know.
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks