How To Choose a Fragrance For Your Home
Home is a place of harmony, warmth, peace, and comfort. The color of the walls, the furniture chosen to match the overall style, the lovely drapes, and decorative items – all of this contributes to a relaxing atmosphere. And the smell complements the pleasant atmosphere. Someone has a pleasant smell of pies and vanilla pastries. And someone selects the fragrance connected with treasured memories of travel, events, and positive emotions from childhood.
A scent for the home should be pleasant and unobtrusive. Let the smell evoke a feeling of happiness and peace. And as soon as you cross the threshold, you can feel the first notes, which help you rest and unwind. However, not everyone can choose a home fragrance. On the other hand, the improper fragrances annoy, cause tension, and cause anxiousness. This post will teach you how to fragrance your home and provide you with some tips on how to pick the perfect fragrance.
Ways To Fragrance Your Home
There are many ways to decorate your home with fragrance.
- Fresh flowers and plants. This is a natural way to fill a room with a pleasant, fresh scent. Indoor flowers in a pot of freshly cut in a vase are natural fragrances for your home. You can also put tree branches in the water. Poplar, birch, and spruce, for example, have a light, fresh scent.
- Essential oils. They are also often used in perfumery, cosmetology, and medicine. To reveal the smell, you need an aroma lamp. When a few drops of essential oil are placed in a bowl of water, they evaporate from the surface of the water when heated, filling the room with aroma. The smell of essential oils is strong and not everyone may like it. Aromas like this can trigger allergies or migraines in persons who are particularly sensitive to them. Furthermore, long sessions of aromatherapy with essential oils are not recommended, especially if there are children in the house.
- Fragrant sachets and ikebana. The first is a fabric bag with a collection of dried flowers, herbs, spices, lemon, and orange peel. Ikebana is a composition also made from natural materials: cones, dried flowers, herbs. To enhance the smell or add a certain note to the bouquet, use a few drops of essential oil. Such fragrances not only fill the house with the scent but also become stylish décor elements.
- Aroma candles. Aromatherapy first appeared in the Far East, and it was the scented wax candles that laid the foundation for it. Such scents can now be found in every home. Candles are lit to create a romantic setting for dinner, relaxation in the bathroom, and coziness in the house on winter evenings. As it burns, the wax melts, and the added essential oils release their scents.
- Diffusers. Bottles filled with scented liquid and accompanied by rattan, reed, or bamboo sticks are now up-to-date than ever. Sticks soaked in an oily liquid provide a relaxing, playful, or romantic aroma. It is entirely up to you to make your decision. The home diffuser does not need to be lit, so this method is the most environmentally friendly and safe. In addition, you can control the intensity of the fragrance. If you want the smell to become stronger – add sticks, if you want to weaken it – remove them. By the way, diffusers can be an original gift. These days they are not just scents, but also stylish items for home and office.
Rules For Scenting Your Home
Home fragrances create a unique atmosphere. Scents give each room its own style and character. Scenting is one way of zoning rooms. Are there any rules for the placement of scents in the house? There are no clear rules, but the recommendations are worth listening to. First of all, home perfume should not diverge from the overall style of the interior and contradict the nature of its inhabitants. It’s impossible to please everyone all of the time, but there are some basic notes that everyone likes. That’s what you should base your choice on.
You can choose one common scent for the house. Or decorate the rooms with different scents.
- The living room is, first of all, a place for receiving guests and gathering the whole family at the festive table. You can experiment in this room. Choose a permanent scent to match the theme of the interior, or create a new one before each arrival of guests. Depending on the event, for the male group, there can be a fragrance of patchouli, leather, sandalwood, and tobacco. For the female group – lotus, jasmine, white tea.
- The bedroom should have a calming, relaxing, peaceful atmosphere. So choose the smell of chamomile, cedar, and lavender. If you are in the mood for a romantic night, let the room smell of bergamot, cinnamon, vanilla, and sandalwood.
- An office is a place of new plans, ideas, and projects. Staying here should be productive. Therefore the smells in this room should stimulate the work of the brain. Citrus and coniferous scents are good for this.
- In the kitchen, there is a constant accumulation and even a mixture of smells of products and cooked food. Aromas of lemon, bergamot, and basil can drown them out. A housewife who cooks deliciously will always emphasize her love for culinary delights with aromas of coffee, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Bathroom – here we are used to relaxing and washing away the stress of the working day. Therefore, the most appropriate aromas will be marine and floral.
- Child’s room – it is not necessary to select a fragrance for this room. But if you want to, then do it especially carefully and use only natural flavors. Be careful if your child suffers from allergies. Try starting with 1 drop of sweet mandarin essential oil, which is considered the safest for children. Once you are sure that there is no reaction to the fragrance, you can install the aromatizer. The aromas of cedar and lavender will calm the child and help to relax after active games and lessons. But rosemary, on the contrary, will increase performance and improve memory. This scent will help you tune in to your studies. Remember to take breaks from your aromatherapy sessions and remember to air the room. Try a little trick shared by moms of the schoolchildren: when the child is preparing for an exam or learning a poem, turn on the aroma lamp. And on the day when they have to pass the exam, put on an aroma pendant with the same scent. The familiar scent will help your child focus on what he/she has learned and make it easier to pass the exam.
How To Choose A Fragrance For Your Home
Fragrances play a big role in our life. They allow us to relax, calm down, improve our well-being. We associate emotions, feelings, memories with smells. And the fragrances for your own home should be chosen carefully. Here are the basic rules for choosing a fragrance:
- Trust your first sense. In the store, choose the one that first responded to you. And if you have a favorite perfume, take their notes as the basis. By the way, many fragrance manufacturers copy the scents of popular perfumes.
- When zoning a room with scents, decide on a fragrance group in each room. Marine, spicy, floral, citrus, etc. Now you can proceed to the choice of fragrance.
- Stimulating fragrances are not for the home. Menthol or citrus notes are more suitable for the office or the gym. Inhaling such scents will keep you awake and active.
- Use different scents and different mixing methods for each occasion. Try mixing the essential oils that you like, perhaps you can create your own selective fragrance for the home.
- After a negative event (tragedy, quarrel) change the fragrance, so it does not bring back sad memories.
Every human being has a natural memory for scents. With fragrances, you can revive your memories at any time and transport yourself, for example, to a romantic trip to Italy. And when you go on a business trip, take home scented sachets with you.
About The Author: Helen Wilson is a professional content writer. Her main spheres of specialization are Health, Productivity, and Self-development. She also studies topics about psychology and meditation and provides content for online essay writing service for students.
Photo by Mariana Rascão on Unsplash
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks