Top 10 Spring Home Improvement Tips
1. Tune up AC units – Change the filter in the central air unit or clean the filter in your window AC.
2. Clean gutters of all leaves and debris. Clearing gutters will prevent spring and summer drainage issues. FYI: Clogged gutters are the #1 reason for basement leaks.
3. Power wash siding and decks
4. Inspect concrete slabs and/or driveways for cracks or movement. All exterior slabs should drain away from the foundation of the home. Fill cracks with concrete crack filler or silicone caulk. Power wash and seal.
5. Add a layer of insulation to the attic – believe it or not, this is one of the easiest and most cost effective ways to cut cooling costs, save energy and make the home more comfortable to live in.
6. Check for winter roof damage – Catching blistering or curling in your roof early can save you time, aggravation, and most of all MONEY in the future by repairing your roof early.
7. While you’re up there, check the chimney for any leakage spots. Make sure the bricks are not loose and the flashing around the base of the chimney is in good shape with no gaps for water to leak into.
8. Check for loose soffits and siding caused by the winter weather. Have your siding replaced immediately to insure no squirrels or birds make themselves at home… in your home.
9. Freshen up that “water repellent” on wood decks. A good indicator for this is, wait for a few dry days and poor a glass of water onto the deck. If the water soaks into the dry deck, its time for a new coat. If the water beads off, you’re still in good shape.
10. Repair or replace storm doors. Storm doors can take a beating over the winter season. Parts become bent or damaged easily and need to be replaced.
For more information visit www.alure.com
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks