How to Confidently Hire a Roofing Contractor
We understand your home is an important investment that deserves only the best. Whether it has been 20 years since purchasing a roof or it is your first time, a new roof is one of the biggest investments you will ever make for your home.
When it comes to roofing, installation is everything. That’s why you want to select the best local roofing professional for the job so you have peace of mind that your new roof will be installed correctly and that the workmanship is supported for years to come. But with so many roofing contractors to choose from today, it can be hard to differentiate between companies and know whom to trust.
The Platinum Difference
Selecting an Owens Corning Roofing Platinum Contractor – like us – can help take the guesswork and uncertainty out of the process of hiring a roofing contractor. Why? Because Owens Corning Roofing Platinum Contractors are the top tier of a premier network of roofing professionals dedicated to service, reliability and professional craftsmanship.
Every member in the network of pre-screened Owens Corning Roofing Platinum Contractors must meet high standards for professionalism and satisfy strict requirements.
Owens Corning Roofing Platinum Contractors are also the only contractors who can offer the Owens Corning Platinum Protection Roofing System Limited Warranty. The Platinum Protection Roofing System Limited Warranty* not only provides our strongest coverage, it also covers workmanship for Life*/^ (as long as you own your home) so you can enjoy year-round protection of your home.
Asking the right questions
Since most homeowners have little-to-no experience buying a new roof, it is always helpful to prepare questions when you start interviewing roofing contractor candidates. To help you get started, here are a few questions to help guide your conversation:
- Will they perform a thorough inspection?
- In addition to checking for storm damage, your contractor should perform a thorough inspection of the entire roofing system, including the deck, attic, flashing, chimney, soil stacks and other roof penetrations.
- Will they install underlayment?
- Depending on several conditions, additional ice and water underlayment between the shingles and the wood deck may be needed to help prevent ice damming, wind driven rain or collected water.
- Will they follow the manufacturer’s specifications?
- Your contractor should be familiar with and follow all manufacturers’ specifications since improper application can affect your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Will they provide an explanation of your warranty?
- Your contractor should explain your warranty and be clear about whom to call with a problem. Find out if defective shingles are replaced for prorated replacement cost or original cost and if labor charges are additional.
- Will they check for adequate ventilation?
- Your contractor should check the existing attic ventilation and explain the importance of proper ventilation. Improper ventilation can damage your shingles and invalidate your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Will they explain how your roofing system works?
- Your contractor should offer a thorough explanation of the entire roofing system and how all the parts work together so you can make educated decisions.
If you hire us, the answer to all of the above is yes. We’ll give you the peace of mind that you’ve chosen the right contractor for the job.
* See actual warranty for complete details, limitations and requirements. Limited Lifetime warranty (for as long as the original homeowner owns their home)
^ Lifetime workmanship applies to all shingles except Supreme® Shingles. Lifetime workmanship is only available to the original purchaser and is not fully transferable. Contractor is responsible for covering the first two years of workmanship. See warranty for complete details.
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks