Proper ventilation ensures a healthier, more durable roof
- In the summer, heat build-up encourages the premature aging and cracking of wood and other roofing materials. Unwanted heat also can transfer back down into living areas – which reduces energy efficiency.
- In cold weather, warm air generated by laundry, showers, dish washing and cooking can linger in the house and cause moisture build-up.
The only way to combat these problems is with a balanced Top of the House® roofing system. That means it’s important to have proper ventilation, plus the appropriate amount of attic insulation to maximize performance.
In a balanced system, wind blowing over the ridge creates negative pressure that draws the warmer air out of the attic. Replacement air then enters through the undereave or soffit vents, bathes the underside of the roof, and exits at the ridge cap through ridge, roof or gable vents. Even without wind, the natural convection action of rising warm air maintains a continuous air flow along the underside of the roof.
Ultimately, proper ventilation, along with attic insulation. helps maintain a comfortable temperature inside a home, increase energy efficiency, prevent moisture damage and contribute to the longevity of a roof.
- Allows outside air to flow naturally upward and out of attic.
- Promotes a cooler, drier attic.
- Helps prevent moisture from becoming trapped in insulation, structural wood, shingles and roof deck.
- Helps prevent rotting, mildew, drywall damage, peeling paint and warped siding.
- Provides year-round performance for consistent ventilation without energy consumption.
Ventilation is an important component of Owens Corning’s Complete Roofing System. These Owens Corning ventilation products will help prevent damage and premature aging caused by moisture in the winter and excess heat in the summer.
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks