Even the most beautiful and high-performance roof shingles can fail without the proper accessories. Owens Corning Roofing offers an array of ventilation, waterproofing and other accessories that complement the high quality of our shingles – while helping to ensure a long, healthy life for your new roof.
New RapidFlow® Gutter Drainage Protection keeps leaves, twigs and other debris from clogging your gutters, while allowing water to flow freely.
- Clog-free – unique profile and open-celled design promote water flow with no stagnation; product is backed by a five-year “clog-free” warranty.*
- Stays in place – fits snugly inside the gutter even during extreme weather conditions and withstands winds up to 110 MPH.
- Protects the roof – allows for improved water runoff as part of a healthy roofing system. Clogged gutters can contribute to ice damming, which can damage shingles and the roof deck.
- Reduces maintenance. Increases Safety. Once installed, it’s virtually maintenance-free, and cleaning trips up and down the ladder are few and far between.
Typical household activities can wreak havoc on a roof and attic if proper roof ventilation is not provided:
- In the summer, heat build-up encourages the premature aging and cracking of wood and other roofing materials. Unwanted heat also can transfer back down into living areas – which reduces energy efficiency.
- In cold weather, warm air generated by laundry, showers, dish washing and cooking can linger in the house and cause moisture build-up.
The only way to combat these problems is with a balanced Top of the House® roofing system. That means it’s important to have proper ventilation, plus the appropriate amount of attic insulation to maximize performance. In a balanced system, wind blowing over the ridge creates negative pressure that draws the warmer air out of the attic. Replacement air then enters through the undereave or soffit vents, bathes the underside of the roof, and exits at the ridge cap through ridge, roof or gable vents. Even without wind, the natural convection action of rising warm air maintains a continuous air flow along the underside of the roof.
Ultimately, proper ventilation, along with attic insulation, helps maintain a comfortable temperature inside a home, increase energy efficiency, prevent moisture damage and contribute to the longevity of a roof.
Allows outside air to flow naturally upward and out of attic.
- Promotes a cooler, drier attic.
- Helps prevent moisture from becoming trapped in insulation, structural wood, shingles and roof deck.
- Helps prevent rotting, mildew, drywall damage, peeling paint and warped siding.
- Provides year-round performance for consistent ventilation without energy consumption.
Ventilation is an important component of Owens Corning’s Complete Roofing System. These Owens Corning ventilation products will help prevent damage and premature aging caused by moisture in the winter and excess heat in the summer.
Your roofing system must include protection from wind-driven rain. This is accomplished by installing Ice & Water Barrier directly beneath the shingles. Owens Corning offers WeatherLock® Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier Products and our new Fiberglas Reinforced Felt Underlayment product. All are designed for both new construction and reroofing projects. Also use WeatherLock® Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier Products on areas of the roof where water has a tendency to collect or flow. These areas include valleys, vents, chimneys and skylights. It’s important to prevent water collection on a roof because that can cause an ice dam to form. This ridge of ice causes water to back up and sit on a roof, instead of properly draining off. This water can work its way under the roof covering and flow into the atticand cause water damage to a home’s interior. To find out more about Ice & Water Barrier Products, click here.
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks