1. Install light colored blinds on east, south and west facing windows to reflect heat out.
2. Turn the thermostat for your air conditioner up by 2 degrees.
3. Seal tightly around window AC units.
4. Replace central air conditioning filters.
5. Grow climbing plants on south facing walls using trellises to shade walls.
6. Use a clothes line instead of the dryer.
7. Reduce the operating time of your pool filter and automatic cleaning sweep to four hours and only during off-peak time.
8. Unplug or recycle that spare refrigerator in the garage if you don’t really need it.
9. When replacing any air conditioner, central or room, buy the most efficient unit your budget allows.
10. Have a comprehensive energy audit performed on your home to see where it is losing most of its energy.
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks