Many of us grew up with a basement that was dank, dark and unfinished, or was finished with paneling and a stapled up ceiling tile. Today's basements are looking more and more like the first floor of the home, adding the extra living space we need while increasing the value of the home.
A Finished Basement Has A Ton Of Potential
More Usable Space
- Family Room. Today's world puts a lot of demands on us, including time away from our families. Having a dedicated space that brings everyone together can be invaluable. Wouldn't it be nice to have a room to watch TV, play games or just have a conversation with the kids?
- Home Office. Many of us have the luxury of working from home. To make it a comfortable work zone, install products that reduce sound and consider installing a mini split room conditioner to provide the climate control you want.
- Guest Room. Adding a bedroom is always a good idea. Whether you use it for a guest, a child coming back from college or even a nanny, an extra bedroom is always a plus.
According to EnergyStar, properly insulating a basement is second only to attic insulation. "Once the attic has been addressed, the basement or crawlspace is usually the next best place to seal and insulate to reduce energy use and control drafts from below."
- Air Sealing. One of the best ways to eliminate drafts is with air sealing. Look for gaps around pipes, electrical lines, etc. that lead to the exterior. If you see daylight, seal it up with either silicone or one of the expanding insulation products you can find at a home center.
- Proper insulation. Depending on location of the home and whether you're insulating the walls or ceiling, installing the proper insulation for each project can give you a return on your investment, with energy savings and lower energy costs.
Increase Your Home's Value
- With home values on the rise again and interest rates still low, now may be the best time to invest in your home by finishing the basement. It can add value to your home by adding the extra living space you want while potentially increasing your bottom line when you sell your home.
A finished basement can give you the extra space to expand the comfort and efficiency of your home. Be sure to consult a certified and reliable home improvement expert to help you complete your project safely and efficiently.
- Additions and New Construction
- All Exteriors
- Customer Service
- Customer Stories
- Design & Planning Show
- Educational Resources
- Extreme Makeover Home Edition
- Fashion Show
- General Remodeling
- Green Living
- Handyman Home Services
- Home Decor
- Home Entertainment
- Home Improvement
- Home Improvements
- How to Tips
- In The Community
- Off-the-Wall Remodeling Stories
- Social Media
- Tips & Tricks